World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Euphrates College

Article Id: WHEBN0008484249
Reproduction Date:

Title: Euphrates College  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ellsworth Huntington, Ashur Yousif, Shahan Natalie, Central Turkey College, List of missionary schools in Turkey
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Euphrates College

Euphrates College (Turkish: Fırat Koleji, Armenian: Եփրատ Քոլեջ) was a coeducational high school in Harput (today Elazığ), a town in the eastern Turkey, founded and directed by American missionaries for mostly the Armenian community in the region.

History

The American Board of Foreign Missions established 1852 a theological seminary in Harput to educate clergymen for the Armenian Evangelical Church, and expanded it 1859 to "American Harput Missionary College". To meet the growing demand for general education in English language, the school's program was extended in 1878, and it was renamed "Armenia College". However, after 10 years, the Ottoman authorities urged to change the school's name, which became finally "Euphrates College". For the building of the college, $140,000 funds were raised from the US Government and $40,000 from the local people in 1875. The facilities at the college consisted of a hospital and an orphanage in addition to a theological seminary and high schools for boys and girls.

In 1895, Kurds looted and burned the Armenian villages on the Harput plain, and in the same month the town was attacked and eight of the twelve buildings on the campus were burned down.

In 1915 several of the leading Armenian members of the faculty were arrested, tortured, and executed on trumped-up charges. The college buildings were then occupied by the Ottoman Military and initially used as training camp, and later as a military hospital.[1]

Euphrates College was officially closed shortly after the founding of the Republic of Turkey and nothing now remains of its buildings.

Presidents

  • Dr. James Levi Barton (1893-1894)
  • Dr. Crosby Wheeler (1894)
  • Dr. Caleb Frank Gates (1894-1903)
  • Rev. Henry H. Riggs (1903-1910)

Faculty

See also

References

External links

  • Armeniapedia
  • Minorities schools in the Ottoman Empire (Turkish)
  • Beloit College
  • Hellenic Resources Network, American institutions under Turkish rule

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.