World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Whitecap (SP-340)

Article Id: WHEBN0023400118
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Whitecap (SP-340)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: USS Crest (SP-339)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Whitecap (SP-340)


USS Whitecap
Career (United States)
Name: USS Whitecap
Namesake: Previous name retained
Builder: Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company, Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Completed: 1916
Acquired: 28 April 1917
Commissioned: 8 May 1917
Decommissioned: 11 March 1919
Fate: Returned to owners 1 April 1919
Notes: Operated as commercial fishing trawler Whitecap 1916-1917 and from 1919
General characteristics
Type: Patrol vessel
Tonnage: 303 tons
Length: 143 ft (44 m)
Beam: 22 ft 8 in (6.91 m)
Draft: 13 ft 5 in (4.09 m) (aft)
Speed: 11 knots
Complement: 18
Armament: 1 x 6-pounder gun
1 x 3-inch (76.2-millimeter) gun

USS Whitecap (SP-340) was a United States Navy patrol vessel in commission from 1917 to 1919.

Whitecap was built in 1916 as a commercial fishing trawler of the same name by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company at Manitowoc, Wisconsin. The U.S. Navy acquired Whitecap from the Bay State Fisheries Company of South Boston, Massachusetts, on 28 April 1917 for World War I service as a patrol vessel, and commissioned her as USS Whitecap (SP-340) on 8 May 1917.

Initially attached to the 1st Naval District in northern New England, Whitecap began operations out of the 2nd Naval District in southern New England in late February 1918. During her naval career, Whitecap operated primarily out of Newport, Rhode Island, patrolling between that base and New London, Connecticut. Occasionally, her coastal patrols took her to Nantucket Island off Massachusetts, Block Island off Rhode Island, and Montauk Point, Long Island, New York, as well as to New York City. When not at sea keeping tabs on the coastwise traffic of naval and merchant vessels, Whitecap performed local tow and escort service out of Newport.

Decommissioned at Boston, Massachusetts, on 11 March 1919, Whitecap was returned to the Bay State Fisheries Company on 1 April 1919. Her name was struck from the Navy List, and Whitecap resumed her peacetime fishing pursuits

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • (SP-340), 1917-1919
  • NavSource Onlline: Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive Whitecap (SP 340)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.