World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Subdivisions of Kiev

Article Id: WHEBN0003136521
Reproduction Date:

Title: Subdivisions of Kiev  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Darnytsia, Berezniaky, Great Podil fire, Osokorky, Pozniaky
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Subdivisions of Kiev

Subdivisions of Kiev, the capital of Ukraine, include the formal administrative subdivision into raions and the more detailed informal subdivision into historical neighborhoods.

Contents

  • History of subdivision 1
  • Raions of Kiev 2
    • Former Raions 2.1
  • Informal subdivision 3
    • The Right Bank and the Left Bank 3.1
    • Historical neighborhoods 3.2
  • Practical orientation patterns 4
  • See also 5
  • External links 6

History of subdivision

The first known formal subdivision of Kiev dates to 1810 when the city was subdivided into 4 parts: Hryhoriy Hrynko administration. All the city modern raions that start with a letter D are located on the left bank of Dnieper and until 1927 were part of Chernigov Governorate with Darnytsia being the first to be incorporated within the city limits that year.

Over the Soviet time, as city was expanding, the number of raions was gradually increasing. The raions has been also commonly named after Soviet party leaders, and as political situation was changing and some leaders were overturned by the other, so raion names were also changing.

The last raion reform took place in 2001 when the number of raions has been decreased from 14 to 10.

Under Oleksandr Omelchenko (mayor from 1999 to 2006), there were further plans for the merger of some raions and revision of their boundaries, and the total number of raions had been planned to be decreased from 10 to 7. With the election of the new mayor-elect (Leonid Chernovetskyi) in 2006, these plans were conducted.

Raions of Kiev

The 10 formal raions (districts) of Kiev.

Administratively, the city is divided into raions (districts), which have their own units of central and local government with jurisdiction over a limited scope of affairs.

The last Kiev raion reorganization took place in 2001, and currently Kiev raions are:

Most of the raions are named after respective historical neighborhoods of the city.

Former Raions

  • Zaliznychny (April 9, 1938 - October 2001), most of it became the Solomianka Raion
  • Zhovtnevy (~1920's - October 2001), raion was created on the territory of Shuliavka that became famous for the Uprising of 1905, in 1938 khutor Vidradny was incorporated within the raion, later became the Solomianka Raion
  • Minsk (? - March 3, 1975), renamed into Obolon Raion
  • Starokyiv ( - October 2001), merged with Sovietsky to form Shevchenko Raion
  • Sovietsky ( - October 2001), merged with Starokyiv to form Shevchenko Raion
  • Leningrad (April 12, 1973 - October 2001), formed out parts of Zhovtnevy, Sovietsky, and Shevchenko, later renamed into Sviatoshyn Raion
  • Shevchenko (prior to 2001)
  • Rakhiv-Sviatoshyn (January 1924 - April 1973), included Sviatoshyn sub-raion, later became Leningrad
  • Sviatoshyn (1918 - 1924), created by an administrative reform of Pavlo Skoropadskyi, was incorporated as a sub-raion into Rakhiv-Sviatoshyn
  • Moscow (1921 - October 2001), reorganized as Holosiiv Raion
  • Kharkiv (? - 2004), became part of Darnytsia Raion

Informal subdivision

The Right Bank and the Left Bank

The natural first level of subdivision of the city is into the Right Bank and the Left Bank of the Dnieper River (a few large islands belong to the left-bank raions).

The Right Bank (Ukrainian: Правий Берег, Pravyi Bereh), located on the western side of the river, contains the older portions of the city, as well as the majority of Kiev's business and governmental institutions.

The eastern Left Bank (Ukrainian: Лівий Берег, Livyi Bereh), incorporated into the city only in the twentieth century, is predominantly residential. There are large industrial and green areas in both the Right Bank and the Left Bank.

The terms "Right Bank" and, especially, "Left Bank" are recognized in the names of Kiev's infrastructure, e.g. "Livoberezhna" Metro station.

Historical neighborhoods

Residents widely recognize a system of the non-formal historical neighborhoods. Such neighborhoods count in dozens, however, constituting a kind of hierarchy, since most of them have lost their distinctive topographic limits.

The names of the oldest neighborhoods go back to the Middle Ages, and sometimes pose a great linguistic interest. The newest whole-built developments bear numeric designations or residential marketing names.

Most notable informal historical neighborhoods of Kiev include:

Right Bank (west):

Left Bank (east):


Lypky and Zvirynets of the Pecherskyi Raion are the most expensive areas to live. Koncha-Zaspa is arguably the most interesting neighborhood name dating back to the times of Kievan Rus'. A local legend explaining the name of a locality states the Rus warriors who felt asleep (zaspaly) during their watch at the outpost were killed (koncheni) by Golden Horde invaders. Koncha-Zaspa is now a prestigious area too.

Practical orientation patterns

Another useful pattern of city division is the Kiev Metro system. However, metro lines do not cover significant parts of Kiev, making such orientation very approximate (but easy for newcomers). Sometimes, the system of elektrychka train stops are used for the same purpose.

Names of well-known shopping malls, restaurants, night clubs are used for orientation purposes as well.

The full informal set of addresses in Kiev (used, for example, in real estate advertising) would include:

  • Formal raion
  • Historical neighborhood
  • Nearest metro station or train stop
  • Formal address

See also

External links

  • History of Administrative Subdivision of Kiev, Kiev City Department of Statistics.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.