World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

St. Catherine's Church, Hamburg

Article Id: WHEBN0003688994
Reproduction Date:

Title: St. Catherine's Church, Hamburg  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of churches in Hamburg, Boroughs and quarters of Hamburg, List of Lutheran churches, Johann Friedrich Mayer (theologian), Hamburg Parliament
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

St. Catherine's Church, Hamburg

St. Catherine's Church
Hauptkiche St. Katharinen
St. Catherine's Church (spire of St. Nikolai in the background)
St. Catherine's Church, Hamburg is located in Hamburg
St. Catherine's Church, Hamburg
Shown within Hamburg, Germany
Basic information
Location Hamburg, Germany
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Evangelical Church in Germany
Ecclesiastical or organizational status Cathedral
Architectural description
Architectural style Brick Gothic
Specifications
Height (max) 115 m

St. Catherine's Church (German: St. Katharinen) is one of the five principal Lutheran churches (Hauptkirchen) of Hamburg, Germany. The base of its spire, dating from the 13th century, is the second oldest building preserved in the city, after the lighthouse on Neuwerk island. It is situated on an island near what was formerly the southern boundary of the medieval city, opposite the historic harbour area on the Elbe river. It traditionally served as the church of the seamen.

History

The earliest attestation to the existence of the church dates back to 1256. The main body, consisting of a triple nave, was rebuilt during the mid-15th century in the north German Brick Gothic style. In 1657 a Baroque rooftop was added to the spire, which thus reached a height of 115 meters. The church was heavily damaged in an air-raid during World War II, on 30 July 1943. It left only the outer walls and the base of the spire standing. The building was restored between 1950 and 1957.

Famous pastors have included Joachim Westphal and Philipp Nicolai.

Organ

St. Catherine's had an organ as early as the late 15th century, and by the 16th century it was considered the most important in Hamburg. This organ was replaced by a new organ built by Hans Stellwagen, rebuilt in 1670 and repaired by Johann Friederich Besser. In 1720, according to Johann Mattheson, this organ consisted of some 58 stops and approximately 88 ranks—disposed over 4 manuals and pedals—which may have made it the largest organ in the world at that time.

Among the organists who played here were Philipp Nicolai

  • Johann Heinrich Scheidemann
  • Johann Adam Reincken
  • Further reading

    • Johann Melchior Goeze: Homily of 1759 to contemplate the reconstruction of the tower of the church in 1659. Erneuertes Andenken der im Jahr 1659, den 3ten Febr. glücklich vollendeten Wiederherstellung des Thurms und der Hauptkirche zu St. Catharinen in Hamburg : welche im Jahr 1648, den 15ten
    This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
     
    Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
     
    By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
     


    Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
    a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.