World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

South Wisconsin District (LCMS)

The South Wisconsin District is one of the 35 districts of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (LCMS), and covers the southern third of the state of Wisconsin. The northern two-thirds are in the North Wisconsin District; there are also two Wisconsin congregations in the Minnesota North District. In addition, twelve congregations in the South Wisconsin District's area are in the non-geographic English District, and one in the SELC District. The South Wisconsin District includes approximately 213 congregations and missions, subdivided into 27 circuits, as well as 37 preschools, 58 elementary schools and 6 high schools. Baptized membership in district congregations is approximately 116,600. [1]

The South Wisconsin District was formed in 1916 when the Wisconsin District was divided. District offices are located in

Concordia University Wisconsin in Mequon, part of the LCMS' Concordia University System, is located within the district. Camp LuWiSoMo in Wild Rose, Wisconsin is owned and operated by the South Wisconsin District.

Contents

  • Presidents 1
  • Oldest congregations 2
  • Largest congregations 3
  • External links 4
  • Notes 5

Presidents

  • Rev. Edward Albrecht, 1916–21 (Pastor, Nazareth/Milwaukee)
  • Rev. Henry John Andrew Grueber, 1921–32 (Pastor, Trinity/Milwaukee)
  • Rev. John Frederick Boerger, 1932–36 (Pastor, St. John/Racine)
  • Rev. Fred A. Schwertfeger, 1936–48 (Pastor, St. Stephen/Horicon)
  • Rev. Arthur H. Oswald, 1948–53 (Pastor, St. Martini/Milwaukee)
  • Rev. Herbert W. Baxmann, 1953–70 (Pastor, St. John/Plymouth; became district's first full-time president in 1963)
  • Rev. Karl L. Barth, 1970–82 (Pastor, St. Paul/West Allis)
  • Rev. Harvey Krueger, 1982-1988 (Pastor, Trinity/Sheboygan)
  • Rev. Edwin S. Suelflow, 1988-94 (Pastor, Walther Memorial/Milwaukee)
  • Rev. Ronald E. Meyer, 1994-2006 (Stewardship Executive, South Wisconsin District)
  • Rev. John C. Wille, 2006-present (Pastor, Good Shepherd/Tomah)[1]

Oldest congregations

Largest congregations

Membership totals are c. 2006.

External links

  • South Wisconsin District web site
  • LCMS: South Wisconsin District
  • LCMS Congregation Directory

Notes

  1. ^ http://swd.lcms.org/Aboutus/Aboutus/History/tabid/2884/Default.aspx
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.