World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

SS-Hauptamt

Article Id: WHEBN0003087910
Reproduction Date:

Title: SS-Hauptamt  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: SS Führungshauptamt, Schutzstaffel, Deutsche Ausrüstungswerke, Deutsche Wirtschaftsbetriebe, SS-Begleitkommando des Führers
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

SS-Hauptamt

SS-HA
SS-Hauptamt
Vehicle flag of the SS-Hauptamt
The SS-Hauptamt was the administrative office of the SS until 1940

SS-Obergruppenführer Gottlob Berger commander of the SS-Hauptamt (1939-45)
Agency overview
Formed 1935
Preceding agencies
  • SS-Amt
  • SS-Oberführerbereichen
Dissolved May 8, 1945
Jurisdiction Germany
Occupied Europe
Headquarters SS-Hauptamt, Prinz-Albrecht-Straße, Berlin
Minister responsible
Agency executives
Parent agency SS
Child agencies

The SS-Hauptamt (English: SS Head Office) (SS-HA) was the central command office of the Schutzstaffel (SS) in Nazi Germany until 1940.

Formation

The office can trace its origins to 1931 when the SS created the SS-Amt to serve as an SS Headquarters staff overseeing the various units of the Allgemeine SS (General SS). In 1933, after the NSDAP came to power, the SS-Amt was renamed the SS-Oberführerbereichen and placed in command of all SS units within Nazi Germany.

This agency then became the SS-HA on January 30, 1935. The organization oversaw the Allgemeine-SS, concentration camps, the SS-Verfügungstruppe (English: Special-purpose troops), and the Grenzschutz (English: Border Control regiments).[1]

During the late 1930s, the power of the SS-HA continued to grow becoming the largest and most powerful office of the SS, managing nearly all aspects of the paramilitary organization. Shortly after the outbreak of SS Führungshauptamt (English: SS Leading Main Office) and the main offices of the Allgemeine SS.

Organization

In 1940 the SS-Hauptamt remained responsible for SS administrative matters such as manpower allocation, supplies, personnel transfers, and promotions. The SS-HA had 11 departments (German: Ämter or Amtsgruppe):[2]

  • Amt Zentralamt (English: Central office)
  • Amt Leitender Ärzt beim Chef SS-HA (English: Chief Medical Officer)
  • Amt Verwaltung (English: Administration)
  • Amt Ergänzungsamt der Waffen-SS (English: Waffen-SS Reinforcements)
  • Amt Erfassungsamt (English: Requisitioning)
  • Amt für Weltanschauliche Erziehung (English: Ideological Training)
  • Amt für Leibeserziehhung (English: Physical Training)
  • Amt für Berufserziehung (English: Trade Training)
  • Amt Germanische Leitstelle (English: Germanic Control)
  • Amt Germanische Ergänzung (English: Germanic Recruitment)
  • Amt Germanische Erziehung (English: Germanic Education)

The SS-HA was technically subordinate to the Persönlicher Stab Reichsführer-SS (English: Personal Staff of the SS Reich Leader), but in reality it maintained autonomous.

Post-war

Gottlob Berger, the former chief of the SS Main Office, in the dock at the Nuremberg Trials in 1949. He was sentenced to 25 years imprisonment for crimes against humanity but was released in 1951.

After the close of World War II, members of the SS-Hauptamt were tried as war criminals because they had maintained, for other branches of the SS, the "paper trail" for such activities as the Einsatzgruppen, Final Solution and the commission of the Holocaust.

The files of the SS-Hauptamt can today be found (via microfiche) with National Archives and Records Administration at College Park, Maryland. The original documentation is kept in Germany, under the authority of the Bundesarchiv in Berlin.

Notes

  1. ^ Yerger, p 13
  2. ^ Yerger, p 14-15

Bibliography

External links

  • Selection from SS Hauptamt records
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.