World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kurumbera Fort

Article Id: WHEBN0030840539
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kurumbera Fort  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Chhoto Angaria massacre, Paschim Medinipur district, Nandanpur (Vidhan Sabha constituency), Pingla (Vidhan Sabha constituency), Kharagpur Sadar (Vidhan Sabha constituency)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kurumbera Fort

The Kurumbera Fort is situated in Gaganeshwar village, southeast of Keshiari, at about four kilometers from that town. The fort has small quarters and temples, is a protected monument under the Archaeological Survey of India.

Reaching Kurumbera Fort

Kurumbera Fort is situated in a village named Gaganeshwar, not serviced by any buses. To reach Gaganeshwar, take the State Highway to Keshiari, at about 27 km from Kharagpur, turn left towards Belda and reach a village junction called Kukai, at about 2 km from Keshiari. Turn to the right into a “Kutcha” (Mud) road, Gaganeshwar village lies at about 2km from Kukai.

This is an ancient fort preserved by the Archaeological Survey of India under the Ancient Monuments Act. However little is known about the people who built it or lived here. There is huge courtyard ringed by pillared corridor and in the middle there are three spherical domes. There is also some kind of an altar in the middle. The village where this located is called Gaganeshwar.

About the fort

Built in 1438-1469 (written in Oriya inscription) during the rule of Surya Vamsi king of Orissa Gajapati Kapilendra Dev, it also has structures built during the Aurangazeb's period by Mohammed Tahir(stone inscription). Despite being a protected monument, under the ASI, there is no data available about this fort.

Folk legends believe that the fort was built in a single night, when Ram, Sita visited the place, during their Vanvas.

Structures inside the fort

The fort contains a three domed structure over a platform, along with a sacrificial altar. Though the most parts of this fort and its structures are in ruins, the ASI, has taken considerable effort to protect the structures from collapsing by using cement and lime mortar for holding the external pillars. The pillars hold a roofing which is shaped as a flower. The usage of circular pillar to the rear of the left-dome seems interesting.

The presence of an inscription stating about its usage is present right behind of the domed structure. Though the script resembles Oriya, locals state that it is not decipherable.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.