World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Krupp armour

Article Id: WHEBN0005327420
Reproduction Date:

Title: Krupp armour  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Naval armour, Russian cruiser Rurik (1906), Evstafi-class battleship, Russian battleship Retvizan, Harvey armor
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Krupp armour

Krupp armour was a type of steel armour used in the construction of capital ships starting shortly before the end of the 19th century. It was developed by Germany's Krupp Arms Works in 1893 and quickly replaced Harvey armour as the primary method of protecting naval ships.

The initial manufacturing of Krupp armour was very similar to Harveyized armour; however, while the Harvey process generally used nickel-steel, the Krupp process added as much as 1% chromium to the alloy in order to gain additional hardness. Also, while Harveyized armour was carburized by heating the steel and physically placing charcoal on its surface for long durations (often several weeks), Krupp armour took this basic idea a large step forward. Instead of attempting to inefficiently introduce carbon at the surface from coals, Krupp armour achieved greater depth of carbon cementation by applying carbon-bearing gases to the heated steel. Once the carburization process was complete, the metal was then transformed into face hardened steel by rapidly heating the cemented face, allowing the high heat to penetrate thirty to forty percent of the steel's depth, then quickly quenching first the superheated then both sides of the steel with powerful jets of either water or oil.

Krupp armour was swiftly adopted by the world's major navies; ballistic tests showed that 10.2 inches (25.9 cm) of Krupp armour offered the same protection as 12 inches (30.4 cm) of Harvey armour. By the early 20th century it was in turn rendered obsolete by the development of Krupp cemented armour.

References

  • Gene Slover's US Navy Pages - Naval Ordnance and Gunnery
  • Article on armour plates in 1911 edition of Encyclopædia Britannica
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.