World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Gov. Stanford

Article Id: WHEBN0003799019
Reproduction Date:

Title: Gov. Stanford  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Central Pacific Railroad, First Transcontinental Railroad
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Gov. Stanford

Gov. Stanford
Type and origin
Power type Steam
Builder Norris Locomotive Works
Serial number 1040
Build date 1862
Specifications
Configuration 4-4-0
Gauge 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge
Driver diameter 54 in (1,372 mm)
Weight on drivers 35,700 lb (16,200 kg) rebuilt
Locomotive weight 50,000 lb (23,000 kg),
56,000 lb (25,000 kg) rebuilt
Boiler pressure 100 psi (690 kPa),
125 psi (860 kPa) rebuilt
Cylinder size 15 in × 22 in (381.0 mm × 558.8 mm)
bore × stroke;
16 in × 22 in (406.4 mm × 558.8 mm)
bore × stroke rebuilt
Performance figures
Tractive effort 7,791 lbf (34,660 N),
11,081 lbf (49,291 N) rebuilt
Career
Operator(s) Central Pacific, Southern Pacific
Number(s) 1, renum. 1174 in 1891
Official name Gov. Stanford
First run November 9, 1863
Retired July 20, 1895
Current owner Stanford University, loaned to Pacific Coast chapter R&LHS
Disposition static display at the California State Railroad Museum

Gov. Stanford is a 4-4-0 steam locomotive originally built in 1862 by Norris Locomotive Works. It entered service on November 9, 1863 and it was used in the construction of the First Transcontinental Railroad in North America by Central Pacific Railroad bearing road number 1. It was Central Pacific's first locomotive and it is named in honor of the road's first president and ex-California governor, Leland Stanford.

The locomotive was rebuilt on 1878 with larger cylinders and an increased boiler pressure, which increased its tractive effort to 11,081 pounds-force (49,290 N). In 1891 the locomotive was renumbered to 1174. The locomotive was retired from regular service on July 20, 1895, then donated to Stanford University; however, it was not delivered to the university until 1899. The locomotive was disassembled and stored during World War II but was returned to display at the university after reassembly by retired Southern Pacific engineer Billy Jones. In the 1960s, the university needed the space occupied by the engine for other uses, so the engine was removed and loaned to the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society, which had been in the process of collecting historic locomotives and rolling stock to be displayed in what would ultimately become the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento. The locomotive is currently a centerpiece at the museum where it has been cosmetically restored to its 1899 appearance.

See also

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.