Battle of Peschiera

Peschiera del Garda
Comune
Comune di Peschiera del Garda

Coat of arms
Peschiera del Garda
Peschiera del Garda
Location of Peschiera del Garda in Italy

Coordinates: 45°26′N 10°41′E / 45.433°N 10.683°E / 45.433; 10.683Coordinates: 45°26′N 10°41′E / 45.433°N 10.683°E / 45.433; 10.683

Country Italy
Region Veneto
Province Verona (VR)
Frazioni Peschiera, San Benedetto di Lugana, Broglie
Government
 • Mayor Umberto Chincarini
Area
 • Total 17.63 km2 (6.81 sq mi)
Elevation 68 m (223 ft)
Population (April 15, 2006)
 • Total 8,479
 • Density 480/km2 (1,200/sq mi)
Demonym Arilicensi
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 37019, 37010
Dialing code 045
Patron saint Saint Martin
Saint day November 11
Website

Peschiera del Garda (Latin: Ardelica, Arilica and Ariolica), is a town and comune in the province of Verona, in Veneto, Italy. When Lombardy-Venetia was under Austrian rule, Peschiera was the northwest anchor of the four fortified towns constituting the so-called Quadrilatero. The fortress is on an island in the Mincio River at its outlet from Lake Garda.

History

Roman Ardelica was a town of Gallia Transpadana that occupied the site of the modern Peschiera del Garda, at the southeast angle of the Lacus Benacus (Lago di Garda), just where the Mincius (modern Mincio) issued from the lake. The name is found under the corrupted form Ariolica in the Tabula Peutingeriana, which correctly places it between Brixia and Verona; the true form is preserved by inscriptions, of which one says that it was a trading place, with a corporation of ship-owners, collegium naviculariorum Ardelicensium. (Orell. Inscr. 4108.) The town is mentioned as Arilica in Pliny the Elder's Naturalis Historia.

The fortress at Peschiera played a prominent part in most military campaigns conducted in northern Italy after 1400, especially campaigns conducted during the Napoleonic wars. During the First Italian War of Independence, it was taken by the Piedmontese from the Austrians, after a gallant defence by General Rath lasting six weeks, on May 30, 1848.

Peschiera del Garda was also famous for its military jail, which closed in 2002.

The comune is part of the Associazione Città del vino ("Association of Wine Cities").

In winter, the nearby Laghetto del Frassino is the most important habitat for Tufted Ducks in Italy (Morbioli & Sighele 2006).

Main sights


  • The Fortress and the external fortifications
  • Sanctuary of Madonna del Frassino (1511). It houses works by Paolo Farinati and Zeno da Verona
  • Lago del Frassino At 2012 site of global importance for migratory birds, recognized by Community europae (Direttiva 92/43/CEE) that threatens to disappear.

Bounding communes

Transport

Peschiera del Garda railway station, opened in 1854, forms part of the Milan–Venice railway.

Twin cities

World heritage site

It is home to one or more prehistoric pile-dwelling (or stilt house) settlements that are part of the Prehistoric Pile dwellings around the Alps UNESCO World Heritage Site.[1]

References

  • PDF fulltext

External links

  • Associazione Città del vino (association) (Italian)
  • Mapquest - Peschiera del Garda
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.