World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Aldwych

Aldwych
Aldwych is located in Greater London
Aldwych
 Aldwych shown within Greater London
London borough Westminster
Ceremonial county Greater London
Region London
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town LONDON
Dialling code 020
Police Metropolitan
Fire London
Ambulance London
EU Parliament London
London Assembly West Central
List of places
UK
England
London
Part of Aldwych pictured in 2011

Aldwych (pronounced ) is a one-way street and also the name of the area immediately surrounding the street, in the City of Westminster in London. The short street is situated 0.6 miles (1 km) north-east of Charing Cross and forms part of the A4 route from London to Avonmouth, Bristol.

The Aldwych area forms part of the Northbank business improvement district.[1] It is known for a number of notable sites and for giving its name to a closed Underground station nearby, which has been used as a filming location in numerous films and television shows.

Overview

Aldwych, the street, is a crescent, connected to the Strand at both ends. It forms part of the A4 route and carries traffic in a one-way eastbound direction. Streets adjoining Aldwych include Drury Lane, Kingsway, India Place and Melbourne Place. Notable buildings along its length include:

Facing Aldwych, on the Strand, is the closed Aldwych tube station, which was originally named Strand station. Aldwych station was closed in 1994 but has since been used for filming scenes in a number of films and television shows.

History

In the seventh century, an Anglo-Saxon village and trading centre named Lundenwic ('London trading town') was established approximately one mile to the west of Londinium in what is now Aldwych. Lundenwic probably used the mouth of the River Fleet as a harbour or anchorage for trading ships and fishing boats. After Alfred the Great re-built the London fortifications in the late 9th century, the old site of Londinium became known as Lundenburh, and Lundenwic was mostly abandoned and became known as Ealdwic (meaning 'old trading town' or 'old marketplace'). The name was recorded as Aldewich in 1211.

1888 plan showing Aldwych before the construction of the modern street. The eastern part of the new street cut a swathe through just to the north of Wych Street.

Lundenwic was "rediscovered" in the 1980s after the results of extensive excavations were reinterpreted as being urban in character. These conclusions were reached independently by the archaeologists Alan Vince and Martin Biddle. Recent excavations in the Covent Garden area have uncovered an extensive Anglo-Saxon settlement, covering about 600,000 square metres (150 acres), stretching from the present-day National Gallery site in the west, to Aldwych in the east. As the presumed locus of the city, Lundenburh, was moved back within the old Roman walls, the older settlement of Lundenwic gained the name of ealdwic, 'old settlement', a name which evolved into Aldwych.[2]

The modern street was created in a redevelopment in the early 20th century that saw the demolition of the old Wych Street and the construction of Australia House (built 1913-18) and Bush House (completed 1925). A statue of the 19th-century prime minister William Ewart Gladstone was installed in 1905 near St Clement Danes church, at the eastern end of Aldwych.

In 1906, Aldwych tramway station was opened underneath Kingsway; it closed in 1952. In 1907, Aldwych tube station was opened on the Strand opposite Aldwych; it closed in 1994.

On 18 February 1996, a bomb was detonated prematurely on a number 171 bus travelling along Aldwych, killing Edward O'Brien, the IRA operative transporting the device; it also injured several passengers aboard the bus.

References

  1. ^ The Northbank District
  2. ^ Hobley B, Lundenwic and Lundenburh: two cities rediscovered, AHDS Archaeology, University of York (PDF)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.