World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

École des Beaux-Arts

Article Id: WHEBN0018976459
Reproduction Date:

Title: École des Beaux-Arts  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Mary Rockwell Hook, Beaux-Arts architecture, Aristide Maillol, Edward Austin Kent, Ralph Stackpole
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

École des Beaux-Arts

Palais des études of the École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts, Paris

An École des Beaux-Arts (French pronunciation: ​, School of Fine Arts) is one of a number of influential art schools in France. The most famous is the École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts, now located on the left bank in Paris, across the Seine from the Louvre, at 14 rue Bonaparte (in the 6th arrondissement). The school has a history spanning more than 350 years, training many of the great artists in Europe. Beaux Arts style was modeled on classical "antiquities", preserving these idealized forms and passing the style on to future generations.

History

The origins of the school go back to 1648 when the Julia Morgan of San Francisco, California, was accepted as the first woman to be enrolled in the Architecture Department.

The curriculum was divided into the "Academy of Painting and Sculpture" and the "Academy of Architecture". Both programs focused on classical arts and architecture from Ancient Greek and Roman culture. All students were required to prove their skills with basic drawing tasks before advancing to figure drawing and painting. This culminated in a competition for the Grand Prix de Rome, awarding a full scholarship to study in Rome. The three trials to obtain the prize lasted for nearly three months. [1] Many of the most famous artists in Europe were trained here, to name but a few, they include Seurat, Cassandre, and Sisley. Rodin however, applied on three occasions but was refused entry.

The buildings of the school are largely the creation of French architect Félix Duban, who was commissioned for the main building in 1830. His work realigned the campus, and continued through 1861, completing an architectural program out towards the Quai Malaquias.

The Paris school is the namesake and founding location of the Beaux Arts architectural movement in the early twentieth century. Known for demanding classwork and setting the highest standards for education, the École attracted students from around the world—including the United States, where students returned to design buildings that would influence the history of architecture in America, including the Boston Public Library, 1888–1895 (McKim, Mead & White) and the New York Public Library, 1897–1911 (Carrère and Hastings). Architectural graduates, especially in France, are granted the title élève.

The architecture department was separated from the École after the May 1968 student strikes at the Sorbonne. The name was changed to École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts, and now over 500 students make use of an extensive collection of classical art, with modern additions to the curriculum including photography and hypermedia.

Locations

  • Paris: École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts (Ensb-a)
  • Dijon: École nationale des beaux arts de Dijon
  • Bourges: École nationale des beaux arts de Bourges
  • Nancy: École nationale des beaux arts de Nancy
  • Lyon: École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts Lyon
  • Lorient, Rennes, Quimper, Brest: A network of Écoles supérieures des beaux arts in Brittany
  • Marseille: École nationale des beaux arts de [Marseille]

Famous instructors, Paris

Notable alumni, Paris

See also

Notes

  1. ^ Heydar, Ghiai, designer of the Iran Senate House
  2. ^ http://www.hancocks-london.com/content/masriera-luis

External links

  • The Ecole des Beaux-Arts – Historical essay
  • École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts – Official website
  • École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts – History

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.