World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Procyon (AG-11)

Article Id: WHEBN0012186208
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Procyon (AG-11)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of auxiliaries of the United States Navy, Unclassified miscellaneous vessel
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Procyon (AG-11)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Procyon.
Career
Name: USS Procyon
Namesake: Procyon
Builder: American International Shipbuilding, Hog Island, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Laid down: 1919
Acquired: 8 November 1921
Commissioned: 30 November 1921
Decommissioned: 1 April 1931
Renamed: TS Empire State (IX-38), 15 July 1931
TS American Pilot, circa 1941
Fate: Sold for scrapping, 3 March 1948
General characteristics
Class & type: Antares-class cargo ship
Displacement: 4,060 long tons (4,125 t)
Length: 380 ft (120 m)
Beam: 54 ft 2 in (16.51 m)
Draft: 9 ft 8 in (2.95 m)
Speed: 11.5 knots (21.3 km/h; 13.2 mph)
Complement: 218

USS Procyon (AG–11) was an in the United States Navy after World War I. She later served as a training vessel for the Merchant Marine Academy as Empire State. In 1940 the ship was returned to the United States Maritime Commission, was renamed American Pilot, and sailed under the American flag during World War II. She was scrapped in 1948.

Service history

Procyon was built in 1919 by the American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania, and launched as the SS Shaume; taken over by the Navy on 8 November 1921 from the U.S. Shipping Board, under executive order of 29 October 1921; and commissioned on 30 November 1921, Lt. Bertram David in command. Procyon served as flagship of Commander Fleet Base Force, U.S. Battle Fleet, until she was decommissioned on 1 April 1931.

Inspected by the State Education Department of New York, she was found suitable for use as a Merchant Marine Academy training vessel; and, by request of Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt, she was renamed Empire State (IX-38) and turned over to the state of New York on 15 July 1931. She served as a school ship for the Academy until 11 April 1940, when she was transferred to the Maritime Commission.

The ship was renamed American Pilot and sailed under the American flag during World War II. In the third quarter of 1948, American Pilot was scrapped at Wilmington, Delaware.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • Photo gallery of USS Procyon at NavSource Naval History
  • (AG-11)) Naval History & Heritage Command - Online Library of Selected Images


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.