World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Boulhaut Air Base

Article Id: WHEBN0025995848
Reproduction Date:

Title: Boulhaut Air Base  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Nouasseur Air Base, 4310th Air Division, Torrejón Air Base, 451st Air Expeditionary Group, San Vito dei Normanni Air Station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Boulhaut Air Base

Boulhaut Air Base
Located near Boulhaut, Morocco
Boulhaut AB is located in Morocco
Boulhaut AB
Boulhaut AB
Location of Boulhaut Air Base, Morocco
Coordinates

Boulhaut Air Base is a former United States Air Force (USAF) base located in Morocco.

Built in 1954 by French contractors, the base was opened on 15 April 1955. The base was one of four Strategic Air Command (SAC) bases (Sidi Slimane, Nouasseur and Ben Guerir being the other three), that were constructed in Morocco in response to the heightened Cold War fears by NATO after the Korean War. Its base host unit was the 3936th Air Base Squadron which reported to the SAC 5th Air Division. SAC assumed jurisdiction of the base on 1 June 1955. The base included housing, code rooms, radar, a cold-storage plant, a glass-walled servicemen's club and a movie theater, along with a 10,000-foot runway, all at a cost of $23 million.

The base was used for forward deployment of B-47 Stratojet bombers and support units.

Boulhaut was closed in about 1963 and turned over to the Moroccan government. Analysis of aerial imagery shows that the condition of the runway, taxiways and parking apron indicate that the facility is still in use, most likely as Ben Slimane Airport. Several small transport aircraft are parked on the apron.

A small hangar and control tower is visible, with most former USAF facilities having been removed. Some buildings to the southwest of the runway are in a

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.